Sunday, January 2, 2011

BBQ Jalapeno Poppers

I was given Pioneer Woman's cookbook for Christmas, a much requested item! I read it through like a novel! We all love her pictures and her humorous way to write a recipe. I decided that I wanted to make something from her book for New Year's Eve. This was the winner! They did not let us down; they are so yummy! Warning, though, it took me about 1hr, 15 min to get these ready for the oven. Hopefully I will get quicker, because I am definitely going to make these again!
- 18 jalapenos
- (8oz) package of cream cheese I don't love cream cheese, so I cut this to about 2/3 of the package and just added more cheddar cheese.
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 green onion, sliced I used white because it was what I had on hand.
- 18 slices thin bacon, cut into halves
- favorite barbecue sauce
- toothpicks
- rubber gloves for working with jalapenos (I don't use them)

1. Preheat the oven to 275

2. Begin by cutting jalapenos in half lengthwise. Try to keep the stems intact. They look prettier that way.

3. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds and light colored membrane. (that's where the heat comes from; leave in some if you can handle it!)

4. Now, in a bowl, comine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and onion. Mix the ingredients together. Because I can't leave recipes along, I also added a little garlic powder and cumin.

5. Next, stuff each hollowed jalapeno half with the cheese mixture.

6. Wrap bacon slices around each half, covering as much of the surface as you can. Be careful not to stretch the bacon too tightly around the jalapeno, as the bacon will contract as it cooks.

7. Brush the surface of the bacon with your favorite barbecue sauce.

8. Secure the jalapenos with toothpicks and pop in the oven for 1 hours, or until the bacon is sizzling.

9. Serve hot or at room temperature. (Poppers can be assembled u pto a day ahead of time and kept in the fridge before cooking. Or, they can be fully cooked and frozen in plastic bags until you need them. Just thaw and warm up in the oven before serving.)

My pictures are included just so you see that a recipe of hers can turn out like her pictures! Truly so yummy and worth the bit of effort! Click here to go to her site for all the wonderful step-by-step pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment