Thursday, March 15, 2012

Italian Chicken and Couscous

This dish used to be a staple in my supper rotation. It's been a little while since I made it, but a great friend ("the roommate") asked for the recipe and now I think I need to make it again soon! It makes a great main dish or a great side if you minus the meat. Add a salad or a green vegetable and you have your meal!

- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, drained, with 1/2 cup of the liquid reserved
- 1 lb chicken, cut into strips
- 1 med onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh or 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 med zucchini, sliced (I like using both squash and zucchini for color)
- 1/2 pkg (10 oz size) couscous (3/4 cup)

Heat oil in 10-in skillet over medium heat. Cook garlic in oil 1 minute, stirring frequently.

Stir in reserved tomato liquid, chicken, onion, oregano, and pepper. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until chicken is no longer pink in center.

Stir in broth; heat to boiling. Stir in zucchini, couscous, and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with a fork or snipping with kitchen scissors. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until couscous is tender and liquid is absorbed.

So yummy!
This is taken from Betty Crocker's Cookbook (The Big Red Cookbook from Betty Crocker). This cookbook was a gift from my mom when I moved out on my own for the first time. She said every new cook needs a cookbook with all the basics like this one. This one has served me quite well; my roommate and I tried out more than a few of these recipes in our first months/years on our own. Thanks mom!... and Betty!

No comments:

Post a Comment