Thursday, October 25, 2012

Vegetable Cacciatore Soup

Lately a big bowl of soup with lots of different flavors has been what sounds best to me!  Can you really argue when the ingredients look this pretty?!

I also really like soups that include pasta because then it becomes more toddler friendly.  For me and Will, I serve a bowl full of soup with a spoon full of pasta in the middle.  Anna-Kate gets a bowl full of noodles with soup poured over it (as though the soup is a marinara).  AK thinks she is getting pasta and I get the soup I like!  This one is definitely getting added to my repertoire!

- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 medium portabello caps, or 3/4 cups mixed sliced mushrooms, sliced 1/4 in thick

- 2 tbsp thyme
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced into half-moons  (I used a small zucchini and a small squash)
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered lengthwise and sliced 1/4 in thick across
- 1 cubanelle pepper, halved lengthwise and sliced 1/4 in thick across
- 1 red onion, quartered lengthwise and thinly slice
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced 
- 1 red chili pepper, thinly sliced, or 1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper

- 2 tbsp tomato paste 
- 1/2 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 can tomatoes (I used crushed tomatoes; RR said to use San Marzano tomatoes) 32 oz
- a few leaves of basil, torn  (I didn't have, would have been great but also great without)

- 1 pound penne (or the toddler-chosen shells)
- 1 cup grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped  (I didn't use...one day I will have fresh herbs at my finger tips.)

Heat the EVOO over medium-high heat.  Add the mushrooms and brown, 10-12 minutes.  Add the thyme, zucchini, onion, garlic, peppers, salt and pepper.  Partially cover and cook for 7-8 minutes more, stirring occasionally.  Add the tomato paste and stir until fragrant.  Add the wine, if using, and reduce by half.  Add the stock and tomatoes.  Bring to a bubble; then reduce the heat to a low simmer.  Stir in the basil; reduce for 30 minutes, until the tomatoes are broken down and the sauce thickens a little.  

Cook the pasta 'til al dente.  (about one minute less than package directions)  Toss the cheese with the pasta (I also tossed with a little butter).   

Serve the soup in a shallow bowl with a scoop of noodles on top.

Thank you to Rachael Ray for another great recipe!  A healthy, vegetable-filled, pretty, delicious recipe!

1 comment: