Friday, November 23, 2012

Butternut Squash Casserole

Have you ever tried William Sonoma's Butternut Squash Casserole?  My sister-in-law introduced it to my family her first Thanksgiving with us.  It was so yummy!!  But, I will admit, I struggle to pay that much money for one casserole.  So, I have been trying to figure out a way to imitate it.  With that yumminess as my inspiration, this is what I have come up with.  (In case you are curious, this was the third attempt.  The first two only mediocre.)

- butternut squash, cubed
- chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, whole
- 1/4 onion
- salt, pepper, thyme

- 1/4 - 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg

-1 or 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 or 2 tbsp flour
- 4 or 2 tbsp butter, melted
- cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg

Put squash in a pot with enough broth to just about cover.  Add onion, garlic, and seasonings.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Cook until squash is tender.

Transfer squash to a blender.  Discard onion and garlic.  Add 1-2 tbsp seasoned broth to blender, along with milk and egg.  Puree.  Pour into casserole dish.

(For a 9x9 or other larger casserole dishes, use large amounts.  For small casserole dish, use half amounts.)  Mix the brown sugar, flour, and melted butter with cinnamon and nutmeg.  Place by dollops on the butternut squash puree.  

Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.  Stir to swirl the brown sugar throughout the dish.  Serve and enjoy!


Okay, this recipe does not have the brown sugar crust (by accident).  The brown sugar mixture sunk into the squash puree.  To deal with my accident, I swirled the brown sugar throughout.  It turned into brilliance.  The squash puree is quite savory, so the swirled brown sugar is the perfect sweet complement! 

As with any recipe I create, I would LOVE to know if you cook it.  Or if you cook an inspired version.  Do you try any of my creations?  do you trust my measurements?  did you take my recipe and improve it?  Would love to hear about it!  

No comments:

Post a Comment