Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Checkerboard Birthday Cake

How cool is this cake?!

I saw the Cake Boss Buddy Valastro teach Rachael Ray this trick on her morning show a bit ago.  I knew I had to try it!  I was really proud of how it turned out.  A few notes for next time:   4 layers are perfect, but use less cake mix so that the layers are less tall.  I think a strawberry and vanilla cake would be so yummy and really cute for a girl-themed party!

First, bake the cake layers.
Second, using biscuit cutters 

punch out the inner circle and one thick ring.

Then, interchange the rings and circles to create an alternating pattern.

Place a thin layer of icing between each layer.
Ice the cake.
Decorate.


Eat!

1 comment:

  1. wow i would not have thought that it would be that simple! I thought you somehow put it together piece by piece haha! looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete