Saturday, February 8, 2014

Shepherd's Pie

 
I needed a farewell recipe for the man who built our kitchen.  Wiping tears...  I wanted something tasty, kinda meat-and-potatoes, but also something the kids would eat.  This came to mind.  I tried a new mashed potatoes recipe for the sake of my little man and his dairy allergy.  With the help of food network and a little creativity, this is the recipe!  (I never feel like I can take credit for a recipe that is like 3 recipes that I just turned into one, so this is an adapted-by-me recipe.)

- 2 lbs beef or lamb  Once I used a London broil, cubed, that I had found on a great deal.  I browned it, then cook about 2/3 so that it would finish cooking when I added it back into the dish.  The other time I used this roast.  I had 4 pounds, so I divided it between two pies for two different groups of people.  This recipe became a great way to stretch a roast, two pies served 14 people, with leftovers!

- olive oil
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch dice OR 8 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 3-4 cups beef or chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- thyme, salt, and pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas (i leave out because my family is not a big fan of peas)

- 2 lb yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 2 egg yolks
- salt and pepper


In a wide pan over medium heat, coat with olive oil.  Add celery, carrots, and parsnips to the pan.  Season with salt and cook, stirring frequently until vegetables are soft and aromatic, about 8-10 minutes.  Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes more.  Add the meat back to the pan, stir to combine.

Add the tomato paste and cook for about 2-3 minutes.

Add the wine and cook until reduces by about half.  Then add enough stock to just cover the mixture.  Taste and salt and pepper as needed.  Add some thyme and the bay leaves.  Bring the stock to a boil and reduce to a simmer.  Partially cover and simmer for about an hour.  If the stock level reduces, add enough to keep the mixture just covered.

Use this recipe or just use your favorite mashed potatoes recipe.  Place the potatoes in a medium pot and cover by 1 in with water.  Bring to a boil.  Cook until potatoes are fork tender.   Drain them and return them to the pot.  Mash them with the stock, yolks, salt and pepper.  

Remove the lid.  (Add peas here if using.)  Simmer for about 15 minutes, allowing liquid to reduce.  Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.  Remove bay leaves.  When done, the mixture should be stew like.  

Transfer mixture to a wide shallow baking dish.  (or use large cast-iron skillet for the whole process)  Add the potatoes in an even layer.  Place under the broiler.  Broil until the potatoes brown on top.

This recipe was so good!  The adults loved it.  For the kids,  it was easy to spoon their layer of potatoes beside their meat.  This cook loved it because it made beef stretch and it was not a hard casserole to put together.  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment