Tuesday, October 6, 2020

Gumbo

 

My Food Network magazine came in last month and I quickly decided to try a recipe from it.  Will loves Gumbo, and I love soup all year, especially as cooler weather sets in.  This one was so good that we invited our parents over on two separate occasions to serve it to them, meaning we had it three times in 2 weeks!  Instant favorite!  (This is a Marcus Samuelson recipe that he shared to advertise his new cookbook.)

- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup diced celery 
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper

- 4 oz ground chorizo
- (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz fresh okra, diced small
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp file powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper 

- 2 cups fish stock 
- 2 cups chicken stock (I’ve not used fish stock; I just double the chicken stock)
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar

- 1 lb large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 8 oz smoked andouille sausage, sliced 1/4 in thick
- 6 cups cooked rice, for serving

Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven set over medium-high heat.  When the oil shimmers, add the celery, onion, peppers, garlic, salt, and pepper and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion is translucent, 3-4 minutes.  Add the chorizo and cook 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add the tomatoes, okra, paprika, file powder and cayenne and continue cooking for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.  

Add the stocks and vinegar and bring to a simmer.  Decrease the heat to low, cover and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The file powder, which is made by grinding sassafras leaves, will thicken the stew.

Add the shrimp and andouille and stir to combine.  Continue to cook for 4-5 min, until the shrimp are just cooked through.  Serve the gumbo over rice.  (Optional top with scallions and parsley.)


This is a great make-ahead recipe, since the flavors taste even better after it has time to sit together!  Make hours or a day ahead!  So good!

Remember soups are also very easy to adjust to taste.  For my dad I use kielbasa and no cayenne, since he really can't handle spice.  But, for Will and his dad, I do the recipe as is.  I also couldn't find the file powder for the first time I made it and it was fine.  I found on Amazon for the following times I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment