Sunday, September 25, 2011

Cheesy Vegetable Chili

This yummy dish was inspired by several things: 1) the anticipation of fall that brings beautiful colors, cooler temperatures, and comfort foods like chili; 2) trying to trick a toddler into eating more vegetables; 3) trying to avoid turning vegetables too soft for this pregnant woman's tongue; and 4) Rachael Ray's Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole found HERE.

The verdict, if you like one-pot meals as I do, is two thumbs up! The toddler's opinion is yet to be determined; one no-go does not mean a dislike. The husband, who is not a huge fan of one-pot dishes, did say that he enjoyed it and it had good flavor. So, I say, "Try it!"

- 1 medium squash
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp cumin (as usual, I don't actually measure seasonings, so this is a good idea of what I did)
- 2 tbsp chili powder, or 1 1/2 tbsp chili powder with 1/2 tbsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder (I had intended to use fresh chopped garlic but forgot)
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander seed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 (4oz) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 bag of frozen, shredded hash browns
- 1 cup (or more :) shredded cheddar cheese

Grate, using the large side of the grater, the squash and zucchini into a collander. Toss with a tsp of salt. Allow to drain (30-40 min), squeeze to remove excess water.


Preheat oven to 400.

Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in pan. Add ground beef to brown, season with salt and pepper. Add the onion and other seasonings. Cook, stirring, until the onions are soft, about 5 min. Add the beans, tomatoes, and chiles with their juices and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or more. (When assembling before putting in oven, either leave in iron skillet like I did, or transfer to a 8x11 baking dish.)

Combine hashbrowns, cheese, and grated zucchini and squash in a large bowl. Scatter the mixture over the chili. For good measure, I sprinkle a little extra cheese on top. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the chili is bubbling, approx 25-30 min.

I loved the colorful presentation of the final product in the pan as well as once plated. Love getting some green in my chili! If I compared it to the Rachael Ray dish that I made before, I would say that you can't beat adding some veggies to cut down the carbs and to sneak in the veggies. The husband and I both agree that the flavor of the vegetables was not overwhelming, therefore not a distraction. (Someone who didn't like squash/zucchini would probably not taste them.) The squash and zucchini really did just add to the health of the dish and the colorful appearance. I used her chili as my starting place but then played with the spices and added the chiles.

Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment