Thursday, August 16, 2012

Honey Mustard Pretzel-Coated Chicken

 At least once a week I have been trying to make what I call a "pantry meal," a meal that uses up leftover ingredients already in my pantry or fridge.  I am hoping this will help me keep my pantry under control and keep my grocery budget under control.  I have enjoyed that it has also helped my creativity. Some times I try to make up a recipe (ahem, alter recipes I already know to fit the ingredients I have), and others I go to the Internet to find a recipe that uses what I have.  This is one of those.

This recipe got 2 thumbs up from all three of us!  Definitely worth trying and an easy one because you probably have every ingredient in your fridge/pantry right now!

- 10 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup and 2 tbsp honey mustard, plus more for dipping if wished (one time I used honey and yellow mustard because I was out of honey mustard)
- 1/4 cup egg substitute (I used two eggs)
- 20 standard-size pretzel twists (I used pretzel sticks)
- 1 tbsp and 1 tsp sugar

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Season chicken strips with salt and pepper.  Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine honey mustard and eggs.  Whisk well.  Submerge the chicken and set aside to marinate for at least 5 minutes.  (Perfect timing to set aside while getting pretzels ready!)

Crush pretzels.  Add sugar and mix.  Put mixture in a dish.

Spray baking sheet with nonstick spray.

Transfer chicken to pretzel mixture and thoroughly coat.  Then transfer to baking dish.  Mist the tops of the chicken strips with nonstick spray.

Bake for about 20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, until the chicken is cooked through.

Thank you Hungry Girl (and foodnetwork.com's search) for such a quick, easy, super yummy recipe!!  I made a spicy barbecue dipping sauce for me and Will.  I gave Anna-Kate some of the extra honey mustard. Truly yummy and a hit for all!  Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment