Thursday, September 13, 2012

Eggplant Parmesan - for kids!

Most of the time my creativity comes by copying an idea I have seen someone else do.  But, every now and then, I get a pretty good idea.  I think this is one of those!  I wanted something special for Anna-Kate (now 3) in honor of her first dance class and her first full week of preschool.  Normally something special means ice cream with sprinkles or a cookie.  I am pretty proud of myself for coming up with something that was healthy and still translated to "special!"

Eggplant Parmesan 
To make it exciting for Anna-Kate, I created some stars out of the eggplant. Then gave her marinara for dipping rather than poured over it.  She thought the stars were really cool!

I used graffiti eggplant, a smaller variety.  AK had seen these in the store about a week ago and thought they were pretty.  

I first cut them in the traditional discs.  Then I used my knife to draw the outline of the star.

a closer view

Then, I cut the negative space away with my knife.  (The discarded portion would be great in a ratatouille or something the next day, especially if made at the same time.  You would have lunch the next day.)

I breaded and sauteed using a traditional breading station and method. (I'll add recipe at bottom.)

I served with steamed broccoli and angel hair with marinara.  So yummy and so fun!

Confession:  my girlie girl didn't like that her hands got dirty holding the eggplant to dip.  She ate it better after I cut it up for her to stab with her fork first and then dip.

I used this marinara and a traditional breading station for the eggplant:
- first bowl with flour
- second bowl with 2 eggs, beaten
- third bowl with bread crumbs mixed with Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese

Dredge the eggplant first in the flour, shaking off any excess.  Then in egg.  Then thoroughly in breadcrumb mixture.

Heat a few tbsp of olive oil in saute pan.  Place eggplant in pan until browned, about 3 minutes.  Then flip, allow that side to brown, another 3-4 minutes.  Don't crowd the pan.  It will take you a few batches (above took me 2 batches), depending on how much you are cooking.

Hope you enjoy this! and that it inspires you to do something creative for your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment