Monday, July 11, 2016

Southwest Breakfast Casserole


I am on a quest to find protein-packed breakfasts.  I would rather eat cereal or donuts or granola bars or breakfast breads or muffins.  I like my coffee and my carb-loaded yumminess.  But, that is not my best health, so I am on a quest to find protein filled breakfasts that I can enjoy (most of the time, those favorite carb-loaded yumminess will always be my sometimes!).

- 1 lb ground meat or favorite sausage, diced
- 1 med sweet potato, peeled and grated
- 1 or 2 diced pepper, like anaheim or jalapeno, amount to taste (we like a lot!)
- 2 cups spinach, chopped
- 12 eggs, whisked
- salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder

Preheat oven to 350.

Brown meat in a large skillet, until there is no pink left.  Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder.   Add sweet potato and diced pepper of choice.  Cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add spinach and cook for another minute or two, until spinach wilts.  

Pour mixture into the bottom of a 9x12 or 9x13 baking dish.  Season lightly the whisked eggs.  Add eggs to the baking dish, giving a little shake to help the eggs settle into the mixture.

Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the eggs have set in the center.

This was easy to prep.  A absolute must for breakfast at this house.  I shredded the sweet potato and diced the pepper the night before.  I did the rest in the morning and baked.  I  have portioned into 6 servings, so 3 days of breakfast for me and my husband or 2 days for the whole family.  (Yay for a Pinterest-success!  found on savorylotus.com)
I also see this recipe varying easily.  Withhold 2 potatoes from supper the night before.  Grate the potato with some carrot.  Season with salt, pepper, thyme and still add a favorite sausage or ground meat.  Or....easy to vary and easy to adapt to whatever veggies you have in the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment