Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sneaky Mashed Potatoes

This idea is not new and not mine, but I am so glad I finally tried it!! Last night I made my mom's country-style steak recipe (to come on the blog as soon as I perfect it like she has), which meant I had to have mashed potatoes. My family-oriented goal: get more vegetables into my toddler. My actual, selfish goal: allow me to eat a generous scoop of mashed potatoes but not regret the amount of carbs I ingested.

I finally made mashed potatoes where they were actually half potatoes, half cauliflower. I, knowing the cauliflower was in there, didn't taste it. My husband, swearing he always knows when I try to make something more healthy, said he wouldn't have known to ask if something was different this time. And, my toddler ate mashed potatoes for the first time in the last 3 times of making them. That is a true, good endorsement!

- about 5-7 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced for boiling (or however many you need to feed your family)
- one small head of cauliflower, cut in small pieces
- milk, to your desired thinness (the way you always would in your own mashed potatoes)
- butter, 1/4 cup or more :)
- salt, pepper to taste

Boil potatoes and cauliflower in same pot. When tender, drain water. Add milk, butter, salt, pepper. Mash. I like mine halfway between chunky and smooth. I have found the key to good mashed potatoes is taste them. Make sure they are salt/peppered well. Add if needed.

**Basically make the mashed potatoes you like, just cut the potatoes in half and sub in cauliflower!

I mean it, try this!!! Not only do you get out of peeling so many potatoes, you get to eat more with less guilt!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds so yummy! I definitely need to try this. Cauliflower is so mild in flavor, yet so nutritious, so I bet you really can't tell it's in there. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete