Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Taquitos

This is such a great, simple idea!  I love Mexican flavors; I am always looking to add them to our weekly rotation.  Always!  So, here is a pinterest inspiration turned success!  

I made it dairy-free for my little guy.  My preference would always be too add cheese.  But, for little guy's sake, no cheese on these.  I think any taco meat or favorite taco, burrito, enchilada filling would be perfect for these.  I used shredded chicken that was flavored with Sofrito (a Mexican tomato, onions, peppers, and cilantro mixture), salt, pepper, and cumin.  Then I mashed a can of black beans and mixed those in with the chicken.  Yum!  (My preschool daughter is not a fan of beans, so mixing like this is my best bet to get her to eat them as well as stretch the chicken to make this quite a budget-friendly meal!)

Put about a 1/3 cup of the mixture onto a tortilla.  Roll them up.


Mix a tablespoon each of melted butter (non-dairy butter this time again for the little man) and vegetable oil.  Brush the taquitos with the mix.
Bake 15 minutes or until lightly golden (as you can see below, I should have pulled mine out about 2 minutes earlier).


Notice today's recipe is not really a recipe.  Just a great idea!  Use your favorite taco meat.  Or, go vegetarian with sweet potatoes and black beans.  Or, make it really kid friendly with just meat and cheese or beans and cheese.  Or...  so many ways to fill them!
We had a family dinner the night before. I had taken a cheese dip.  So perfect for dipping taquitos in!  I served with roasted vegetables, salsa and my left over cheese dip.  I will be making these again soon!

Make a lot.  Half could go in the freezer.  Or, make for Monday night supper then eat the leftovers for lunch the rest of week (or in lunch boxes)!

No comments:

Post a Comment