Monday, September 30, 2013

Sneaky Mashed Potatoes, Number 3

Sneaky mashed potatoes, roasted broccoli, roasted okra (a favorite!!), and roasted acorn squash

I try to have a meatless meal once a week.  I like vegetables, so no problem here!  Sometimes soup.  Sometimes pasta.  And, sometimes a nice Southern vegetable meal!  Last Monday, this was our supper plate.  Typically, for a Southern veggie meal, I make a starch, beans, and two veggies.  Well, my dear 4 year old (un-named for her innocence) has decided she does not want to eat any beans.  And, my best friend from college and just in life, is doing more meatless meals but she doesn't like beans.  In honor of two of my favorite girls, who just don't like beans, I created these mashed potatoes!

- skin-on small yellow potatoes
- 1 can Northern beans
- milk
- butter
- salt, pepper, garlic powder

Pretty much make your mashed potatoes to your taste.  Just cut back on the potatoes and add a can of beans!  Boil.  Drain.  Add milk, butter, seasonings.  Mash.

These protein and fiber packed potatoes were great!  Keeping the skin-on the gold potatoes was smart because it only added to hiding the beans.  I thought both in texture and in taste these sneaky potatoes were the most sneaky!  The beans really were hidden by the potatoes!  Worth a try if you have non-bean-eaters like me!  (Check out my other two sneaky potatoes here and here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment