Sunday, July 24, 2016

Mushroom and Beef Soup


My 7 year old's review of this:  "Mom, this is the best soup I have ever eaten.  I could just this broth.  What is your secret?"  One, I love when that child sounds so old.  Two, woohoo, a soup that my kids like!  My son couldn't take time to review, because he was shoveling soup in his mouth.
I took a recipe of Pioneer Woman's and adjusted.  I don't want to forget what I did, so here goes:

- 32 oz beef broth
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- salt, pepper, thyme
- 40 oz beef broth
- 3-4 stalks kale, stalks removed, leaves roughly chopped

Put (first) beef broth in a pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes to reduce.  (Will create an incredibly rich base for the soup!)  Meanwhile, heat a little oil in a dutch oven.  Then brown the meat, in 2 to 3 batches.  Set aside.  Add the mushrooms to the pot.  Saute until soft.  Remove mushrooms and set aside.

Add onions and garlic to the pot.  Saute until soft.  Add carrots and celery and saute for another couple minutes.  Season with salt, pepper, and thyme.  Add beef and mushrooms back to the pot. Then poor the reduced broth into the pot as well.  Add the rest of the broth to the pot.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer.  I always try to simmer a soup for at least an hour or longer!  Remember to taste to correct seasonings, if needed.

For the last 15 minutes, stir in the kale.  

 So good!  Enjoy!  I served with roasted potatoes.  Would also be amazing with a scoop of rice in the middle or served over egg noodles.  

No comments:

Post a Comment