Wednesday, July 20, 2016

My Whole30 - My Why and My Approach


Well, we did it.  My husband and I decided to do the Whole 30 program.  
Our Why:  I wanted a diet reset.  After 7 years with 3 pregnancies, almost 3 combined years of nursing, and just life, it was time to create some new defaults, find some new ideas for our breakfasts and lunches.  We will absolutely enjoy chocolate cake, ice cream, sandwiches, etc when this 30 days is over.  But, by following someone else's rules, it forces me to find some new go-to's.  Those new go-to's can balance forever-love's like cookies!  Will says he is game for my reasons, but he is also approaching it with the scientist's mindset:  will I really have more energy like everyone says I will?

My Goal:  I like carb-loaded breakfast.  From Raisin Bran to donuts, pair it with my black coffee, favorite breakfasts.  But, that is not my best health.  And, there is not much stick-with-it-ness for the morning to follow.  No shocker there.  So, huge goal, figure out a high-protein breakfast that I can enjoy.
Another huge goal is lunch.  After packing Will's lunch and the kids' lunch, I can be lazy about my own lunch.  So, what if I could find a lunch that Will and I both like?  A lunch that is tasty, filling, budget friendly, and that we both enjoy?  Create a better health for Will and a non-neglectful lunch for me.

Results:  Not yet.  I type this on day 8.  But, after 30 days...
will we have increased energy and lower brain fog?  
will I have found lunches and breakfasts that help create balance and better health?
will I have found some budget-friendly ways to achieve the latter goal?
and, of course, will I have lost the last of my baby weight?

My Approach:  one, a lot of my family is trying to create better health for themselves.  Because we all have different goals, we are going about it several ways.  One other house is doing Whole 30, which makes it fun to commiserate with someone!
To get ready for it, I spent two weeks planning recipes.  As day 1 approached, I made 3lbs worth of meatballs (about 72) and shredded a couple chicken breasts and put it all in the freezer.  By doing this, I would have a go-to for a supper if I got caught with too little time or too little desire to cook!  and, my best idea for lunch was vegetable soups and then add shredded chicken or meatballs to the bowls for the protein.
So, basically my approach was prep and plan, looking for repeatable options (both on enjoyment and budget) to try now and hopefully add to the normal repertoire later.

8 down...22 to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment